CEN Executive Director Position
Are you a nonprofit professional with a passion for leadership development? Do you have the leadership skills to drive results for a nonprofit that shares your values? Are you both a strategic thinker and a hands?on contributor? If yes, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
CEN’s vision is a powerful, vibrant and effective nonprofit community. We enable leaders to learn and implement the best practices of management and governance in their organizations for the betterment of the communities they serve.
Our mission is to improve the long-term sustainability of nonprofit leaders and organizations by offering the highest quality programs, consultation, training and community-building networks.
For more than 20 years, the Center for Excellence in Nonprofits (CEN) has been increasing the capacity of the nonprofit sector through strengthening and sustaining their leaders and the board members. Our goal is to be a strong resource of information and support for nonprofit emerging leaders, executive directors and board members seeking to maximize the effectiveness of their organizations. We accomplish this by providing access to best-in-class resources and programs, peer support networks, and personal consultation to over 200 Silicon Valley nonprofit organizations.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and will work with staff, board members, and volunteers to develop and implement our strategic plan and meet annual fundraising goals, as well as create ideas for expanding and enhancing existing and new programs and services. In addition, you will develop and strengthen relationships with our key donors, corporate sponsors, and community partners.
The position is full or part time, with flexible hours, and includes the following responsibilities:
- The top priority of our Executive Director is to lead and grow CEN’s fundraising efforts including identifying, cultivating and soliciting major gifts, and relationships with foundations, corporations, and individuals.
- Set and meet annual fundraising targets to support the growth of CEN.
- Grow a sustainable, diversified funding base (e.g., individuals, corporations, foundations, public funding etc.).
- Ensure the ongoing engagement and stewardship of an ever-growing portfolio of influential individual, corporate and foundation partners.
Partnerships and Communications
- Serve as the key external voice and representative of CEN, demonstrating an exceptional and compelling articulation of CEN’s work.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders across the public and private sectors. This will include: corporations, public officials, peer organizations, collective impact groups and networks, and affinity groups.
- Effectively identify and assess opportunities to collaborate with key stakeholders to amplify CEN’s impact in the area.
- Cultivate a local identity that is reflective of CEN’s core values and culture.
- Work in partnership with our highly-engaged board of directors to exemplify best practices in our industry.
- Build and manage a high-impact Leadership Council in addition to the Board of Directors.
- Oversee a high-quality execution of CEN programs.
- Successfully scale CEN programs to increase our market share by 10% annually.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
Leadership and Management
- Lead an exceptional team of 2.75 FTEs. Continue to grow the team thoughtfully and strategically to meet CEN strategic goals.
- Foster a culture of leadership development by providing coaching and feedback.
- Lead annual goal setting process across all functional areas.
- Maintain a high commitment to strategic planning
- Maintain a highly effective work culture that embodies CEN’s values.
- Cultivate internal and external talent required for the long-term success of the CEN.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Successful fundraising track record with similar constituency
- Successful prior experience as an Executive Director strongly preferred
- Strong leadership, organizational, and project management skills,
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse stakeholders and volunteers
- Positive energy and enthusiasm and a passion for leadership development
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent working knowledge of nonprofit management, leadership and governance
- Familiarity with CEN programs and services strongly preferred
- Established positive reputation in the nonprofit community
- Analytical ability to organize and synthesize information for management and strategic decision-making purposes
- Ability to interact effectively with a Board of Directors
- Willingness to work externally and be self-managed
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. We respectfully request no phone calls.